Should you change the locks on your rental property between tenants? There are various ideas related to changing locks between tenants. Our opinion on the matter is YES you should change locks for security’s sake and liability. If you have a tenant moving out and looking to put the property back on the market consider doing the following:
- Replace worn out locks with new locks.
- Replace the lock cylinder so a different key is needed to unlock the door.
- Get new keys for the lock at your local hardware store.
- If you manage multiple properties you can merely do a swap of locks.
- For digital locks you can simply change the combination.
Hope these tips help as you transition from an old tenant to a new tenant. Please consider changing locks between tenants. Happy lock shopping/swapping!